Monday 26 May 2008

Tokko


I got the Tokko complete collection a few weeks back and finshed watching it a couple of days ago and thought it was pretty good. It was the UK release I picked up and I'm not sure if the US release is the same, but it features some pretty awful dubtitles which are reminiscent of some of Manga's older releases with lots of profanities added. Doesn't take away from the release too much but it's an issue nonetheless.


I'm a big fan of this sort of over-the-top gorefest and in that respect, it didn't disappoint. The story was interesting enough but the other big issue with the series was that it just kind of ended (which I've read is because the manga similarly has no real ending and the animation team decided to just follow it rather than create an ending of their own). Hopefully a second season will appear at some point to continue the story, which I thought was decent enough aside from the end.

There were some great characters, from Ranmaru's over-loving sister Saya to cop-cum-Yakuza Kaoru, although most of the main characters weren't fleshed out all that well.


Definitely reminded me of older anime, the violence and nudity filled stuff that Manga used to be (still are?) notorious for, which in my eyes at least is a good thing.
Overall I really enjoyed it and hope to see more in the near future!

No comments: